The Journal of Organization Design publishes the following Collections on topics of special interest.
Corporate Headquarters in the 21st Century
Guest Editors: Sven Kunisch, Markus Menz, and David J. Collis
Open for submissions
Fading Hierarchies and the Emergence of New Forms of Organization
Guest Editors: Stephan Billinger, Maciej Workiewicz, Børge Obel, and Charles Snow
Open for submissions
Designing and Managing the Digital Organization
Guest Editors: Børge Obel and Charles Snow
Published 1 March through 24 August 2017
Call for Papers
The Journal of Organization Design welcomes submissions to a new article collection focused on 'Fading Hierarchies and the Emergence of New Forms of Organization.'
Many people find it difficult to imagine any form of organizing that does not involve hierarchy. Yet at times organizations arise that appear to have little or no hierarchy – few or no bosses, few reporting structures, and few rules to maintain control. Some of those organizations manage to survive and even flourish for considerable periods of time. They beg the question: What is the role of hierarchy in organizations?
It may be that hierarchy is not necessary in some types of organizations. It may be that hierarchy serves some organizational purposes better than others. It may be that small organizations do not require hierarchy but large organizations do. This Special Collection will explore the role and form of hierarchy in organizations, especially in novel modes of organizing such as collaborative communities, commons-based peer production, temporary innovation networks, and boss-less organizations.
This article collection is currently accepting new submissions!
Topics can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- the role of hierarchy in organizations, and how that role is changing
- the questions of whether and when hierarchy is necessary
- how large and small organizations experience hierarchy differently
- the multifarious forms hierarchy can take
- novel modes of organizing, such as collaborative communities, commons-based peer production, temporary innovation networks, and boss-less organizations.
JOOD publishes numerous article types including research papers, case studies, urgent issues, and points of view, all of which can be submitted to this collection.
Before submitting your manuscript, please ensure you have carefully read the Instructions for Authors for the Journal of Organization Design. The complete manuscript should be submitted through the Journal of Organization Design submission system. To ensure your paper is considered for this Collection, please answer "yes" when asked whether you are planning to submit to a thematic series, and select the Collection name from the drop-down menu. In addition, indicate within your cover letter that you wish your manuscript to be considered as part of the 'Fading Hierarchies and the Emergence of New Forms of Organization' Collection. All submissions will undergo rigorous double-blind peer review and accepted articles will be published at no cost to the author.
To be edited by:
Stephan Billinger, University of Southern Denmark
Børge Obel,,Aarhus University, Denmark
Charles Snow, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Maciej Workiewicz, ESSEC Business School, France
Submissions will benefit from the following advantages of Open Access publication:
- Rapid publication: Online submission, electronic peer review and production make the process of publishing your article simple and efficient
- High visibility and international readership in your field: Open access publication ensures high visibility and maximum exposure for your work - anyone with online access can read your article
- No space constraints: Publishing online means unlimited space for figures, extensive data and video footage
- Authors retain copyright, licensing the article under a Creative Commons license: articles can be freely redistributed and reused as long as the article is correctly attributed.
For editorial queries, please contact this journal's Development Editor, Erica Gordon-Mallin.
Sign up for article alerts and news from this journal to keep updated on articles published in Journal of Organization Design - including articles published in this Special Collection.
- ISSN: 2245-408X
The Journal of Organization Design is the official journal of the Organizational Design Community.
69 days from submission to first decision
25 days from acceptance to publication
Social Media Impact
Please explore our expanded Submission guidelines for details about the Journal's array of article types.